Friday, July 17, 2009

FINAL STRAW

This might have some similarities to my post about Wendy's a few months ago. Side note: I have gone back and I don't know if they got the memo or not but you better believe I get all the free honey mustard I want.

Down to business. I love to shop local. At any opportunity I will choose local over corporate. You just get better customer service and you keep your money local. Or do you? There is only one small camera store in Coeur d'Alene and what do you know, I like cameras. Sounds like a perfect fit for me to shop at this place. WRONG. Link (here)

I love the shop. Great feel to it and they have a little bit of everything. The owner (Dan) is a great guy and always full of info. Mike is the man and can answer any question with some humor thrown in there also but the problem shows itself when i have to deal with Chic. I bet I have gone into Camera Corral 20-30 times in my years here and he has talked down to me every time. I'm in there to get help or ask about something so HELP ME.

So I go in there today to ask for some info on the different types of film and the characteristics of each kind. I must have woke him or interrupted his solitaire game but he wouldnt leave the computer for the life of him. I have a pocket full of money and I wanted to give it to you if you could tell me something about this film. All I got was "that one is black and white." Ummm no kidding I can read it. How about things like "geee Glenn, this one has great skin tones and is a great one for shooting in the summer." Thats all I want to know and from the looks of their website I was talking to the right guy.

Stuff like that kills me. Here is another gem: I went in another time and asked some question about flashes. "What the hell do you need flashes for? You just need to know how to use natural light." Maybe we should ask flash master, Joe McNally why he uses them. Just read (here) if you need reassurance about his credibility. Here is a post he did last week on his blog


He used 347 flashes on this one. What if Joe walked into Camera Corral and had asked about a flash and got that answer he gave me? Might cost him right around $173,500. I have 3 and they run $500 a piece and after this conversation with Chic I took all that money elsewhere. We all get it you are a GREAT photographer but thats not your job. SELL ME GEAR and today all you had to do was sell me a $3.50 roll of film. I dont think I'm the best by any means but I know my way around a camera and the industry for that matter so I don't want to and wont be treated like some punk kid. One sour grape can ruin a whole barrel.

ALL DONE THERE

GL

3 comments:

Bryan Wood (Shuttered Lens) said...

No kidding Glen? Man, you would think working retail sales, especially with something that you love, you would be more than happy to share your passion with others, I know I am. Well I hope you were able to find the film type you were in search of.
B.wood
(shutteredlens)

Colby said...

man, i'm so glad you posted his picture. made me laugh out loud. i got that you were mad, then i saw the picture and caption and realized you were really mad. all fired up. i'm so happy you took it that far. phew. awesome

PlanetKarr said...

OMG that is too funny.... I have actually seen this guy asleep on the floor behind the camera case.
He is snippy and though he does know his photography he is rude to everyone!