Friday, May 22, 2009

Dear Missouri

video

Just right. That’s how I would sum up my time here.

Let me give you a little background. March of 2008 I got to talking with my friend Andrew, fellow editor at The Sentinel, about maybe it was time for something new. We were both on our second year at a two-year school with no graduation in the near future. Many stay and finish, then go on to a university but not us. Kind of a dumb choice but we went for it. Nils, the advisor for the newspaper at North Idaho College, hooked us up with some contacts here in Missouri. There has been a long line of transfers between the schools and we would soon be part of that trend. We were both offered full tuition scholarships to come to MSSU (Missouri Southern State University) to work on the newspaper. I would come in as Director of Photography and Andrew would be the News Editor.

In April we came to check it out. You know, get a feel for it. Peep the stats as some would say. We flew into Tulsa. FLATTEST PLACE IN THE WORLD. It was kind of a shock for a kid that grew up in North Idaho. It wasn’t love at first sight but I figured that I could live here for a few years. It was worth it due to the deal on school.

So come July I would pack it all up. I put my life in a wagon and headed east. We had a real great bbq the night before we left. I don’t know if that made it harder or put myself at ease about it all. I don’t know how many people showed up but there were the best of the best there. It felt like everyone from over the years stopped in. If you are reading this and you live in North Idaho and you didn’t come… I shall remember that. Just kidding… kind of.

One of the first struggles that I had was the feeling of community. I had just come from living in a town that was centered on the local downtown scene. Most days I didn’t even need my phone to plan a hang out with friends. I knew where they were and they knew where I was going to be. The longer I was here the better this got. Once school started I met Colby Williams. Was it one of the best things to happen to me out there? For sure. The guy was genuine and there for you. Colby also was friends with everyone in town and put me right in the middle of one of the best groups of people. I cant name everyone but you know who you are. A big thank you to everyone that leaned my name. I think that if we were on a name-to-name level then you made a big impact.

Nothing against people back home or any place else I have been but the Midwest crowd are the nicest people I have ever come across. I wouldn’t call it “southern hospitality” but it has somewhat of that feel. They will just take you under their wing and show you the time of your life. I felt like I have done it all out here.

Rundown: (not the kind Charles wanted from Jim) The Office joke

Southern rock

Turned 21

Made this town home

Kansas City

St. Louis

Chicago

Clover coffee

Fished

1000's of friends

Broke down on a highway

Swam

Ran

Rode

Bugs

Weather and I mean weather

Good talks with bright people

Grew facial hair

A-frame

Tony Bennett

Photographed

Good grades

Good and bad roommate times

Football games

Humidity

Freelanced for the city paper here

Gallery

Most of all, I learned more about Glenn Landberg. I don’t think that I’m a different person now but I found out what is most important to me. I was pushed. New place, no friends, no family and I made it. I love knowing that I can pack up and move anywhere I want and make it. I can start a new life in a new place. I’m sure I left plenty of stuff of that list but you get the point and you read the blog, so you have a pretty good idea of my world out here.

Well Missouri… we had our ups and downs. I wouldn’t take this back for anything and yet I think its time to turn the page. It’s on to the next chapter in the book. I wont forget you or anyone in this state or the times we had. I’m sad that I am about to leave. Real sad. I think its safe to say, “I LOVE MISSOURI.”

I’ll miss you.

GL

2 comments:

Sandy said...

You made me cry...you're quite a guy!

9artphoto said...

So Im reading this late.... but still, I'm glad I read it. I'm happy you were here and that I got to know you a bit. I don't by any means intend to lose contact with you either-- at the very least, photography friends forever, haha!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and sentiment about our town, I'm really glad you had a great time while you were in the area and hope you'll give me a call if you should ever drop back through.